The Diocese of Corpus Christi is seeking a full-time Controller.
The Controller of the Diocese of Corpus Christi manages the overall direction, coordination, and work product of the Accounting Department. The Controller safeguards assets and ensures accurate and timely recording of all transactions by implementing disciplines of internal controls and checks. The Controller ensures the accuracy of accounting information recorded and reported to the diocese, parishes, schools and related entities. The Controller produces monthly and annual financial reports and provides support and documentation to external auditors.
- Oversee the operations of the Accounting Department.
- Ensure existence of sufficient system of internal controls.
- Report to the Diocesan Finance Council and related entities as-needed.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for annual audits.
- Ensure compliance with canonical requirements and applicable local, state and federal reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Issue timely, complete and accurate financial statements for the diocese
- Issue timely, complete and accurate financial statements for affiliated entities.
- Provide support and reports to the Diocesan Finance Council.
- Provide financial reports as needed.
- Preparation of budgets.
- Review and approve all accounts payable for accuracy and that they are paid in a timely manner taking discounts when available.
- Ensure that accounts receivable is accurately billed and collected.
- Review, approve, and monitor payroll processed by staff and submitted to outside vendor to process.
- Review and approve monthly bank reconciliations for accuracy.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions.
- Investment deposits, transfers, and reporting.
- Provide assistance to department and corporations in the coding of transactions.
The above list reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the primary functions of the job identified, and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all of the work requirements that may be inherent in the job, or assigned by the Bishop.
- A minimum of 5 years in a senior accounting position.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Excellent leadership and communications skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Proficiency with computer applications, including QuickBooks, to enter and retrieve data and to produce and edit reports.
- Extensive knowledge of accounting principles and best practices.
- Experience in managing staff.
- Ability to maintain a high level of initiative, judgement and discretion.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Working Conditions: The position is fulltime exempt. It may require occasional evening and weekend work, and occasional travel, and the ability to occasionally lift file boxes.
Salary: Salary commensurate with education and experience.
This full-time position includes medical insurance and 403 (b) retirement benefits.
Applicant must meet diocesan requirements: criminal background check, drug screening and certified in Safe Environment training provided by the Office for Safe Environment and Child & Family Resources.