Internal Auditor - Archdiocese of St. Louis
The Archdiocese of St. Louis seeks an Internal Auditor
The Archdiocese of St. Louis currently has an opportunity for a full-time Internal Auditor. This position will work with parishes and Archdiocesan agencies to determine the reliability of financial information, ensure compliance with Archdiocesan policies, evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of processes, and to make sure sound internal controls are in place and are being applied to protect the parishioners and the assets of the Archdiocese, its constituent parishes, and affiliated agencies.
We offer a generous paid time off schedule, competitive insurance benefits and a great work/life balance environment for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Determines compliance with generally accepted and/or established internal control procedures and practices and Archdiocesan statutes and policies by employing sound, generally accepted auditing principles.
- Reviews adequacy of internal control systems by completing audit questionnaires or by otherwise documenting established procedures.
- Prepares audit work-papers to document audit tests and findings.
- Prepares written internal audit reports to be reviewed by the Director of Internal Audit and shared with Archdiocesan leaders and the Audit Committee.
- Assists with audits, investigations or special projects when irregularities are either reported or suspected, or when other circumstances arise.
- Assists external auditors as directed.
- Maintains knowledge in internal auditing field through continuing professional education.
Required Knowledge & Experience:
- A college graduate with a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Auditing, or commensurate experience.
- Two or more years of diversified experience in accounting, internal audit or similar analytical field.
- Licensed as a CPA (Certified Public Accountant), CIA (Certified Internal Auditor) or related certifications such as CISA or CFE, or substantial progress toward a relevant certification. Consideration will be given to candidates willing and able to obtain professional licensure within 1 year of employment.
- Knowledge of sound auditing techniques including inquiry, scanning and examination of documents and records, observation, re-performance, confirmations, and analytical procedures.
- Ability to understand financial and other related records, reports, operating practices, and documentation of various parishes and other entities of the Archdiocese.
- Ability to research policies, rules, regulations, laws and best practices, and apply them in real-world situations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
Preferred Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to verify assets and liabilities by inspecting or comparing items to appropriate documentation.
- Has an appropriate understanding of GAAS, not-for-profit GAAP and the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (Standards) and the Code of Ethics developed by the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA).
- Ability to prepare audit reports and management letters that can be easily understood by the end user.
- Working knowledge of Catholic organizations.
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks (parishes) and experience with auditing other high-end accounting software (Lawson).
Skills & Attitudes Required for Success in Job:
- Must adhere to the principles of the Christian Witness Statement of the Archdiocese of St. Louis and must be supportive of the mission of the Roman Catholic Church of the Archdiocese of St. Louis.
- Ability to work with individuals with a wide range of accounting knowledge and interview skills.
- Above average editing and writing skills.
- Ability to export and import data from multiple sources.
- Proficient analytical skills.
- Ability to work in a decentralized environment.
- Excellent communication skills including oral and written communication.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability and willingness to work independently or with teams.
Qualified candidates may submit their resumes and cover letters, including salary requirements, to email@example.com.